Net neutrality proposal

Tony Su tonysu at su-networking.com
Fri May 16 12:19:50 PDT 2014

Don't include the power grid on your list... :)
It's fairly well known that it's a hodge-podge of independent entities
that individually have done only what is minimally required in their
own interest.
Without a master strategy, this has resulted in major inefficiencies,
numerous recognized and unrecognized potential points of failure and
limitations on capacity.

It's like building a software app hodge-podge the cheapest way
possible that you hope does the job but with no strategy for the
future. For those who have been involved with this kind of Dev, it
means that what you build typically is rotten to the core in parts and
would need complete replacement instead of upgrades as needed, which
of course makes the decision to improve all the more painful.

And, of course there is the constant drumbeat of warnings that the
power grid is completely vulnerable to attack. Annually if not more
often someone is doing a study which repeats the warning... If one day
an adversary has a real interest in debilitating America, large parts
could be nearly without electricity for maybe weeks. Since this is so
commonly known, I've speculated the only likely reason it hasn't yet
happened is that the timing isn't in the adversary's interest and
knows that retaliation would be immense. But if someone is crazy
enough to crash planes into towers, someone eventually will attack our
power grid.

So, the status of our power grid is probably an example that is all
that is wrong with ad hoc capitalism without regulation... As long as
we only suffer minor pain which can mostly be hidden (increased costs
due to inefficiency, inability to support more beneficial options), we
muddle along until something serious enough captures our attention and
forces change.

Tony