Net neutrality proposal

Andrew Lentvorski bsder at allcaps.org
Thu May 15 23:21:20 PDT 2014

On 5/15/14, 10:02 PM, R S wrote:

> Valid points. But business tends to have better filters against incompetence keeping a position in the organization.

But this isn't about competence, the telecoms are completely *inert*.

A friend of mine got tired of the damp string that the telecoms called
internet access and took it upon himself to bring fiber to his small,
northeastern town (population about 4,000).  Nearest city for
termination is about 150K and is about 15 miles.

The big telcos wouldn't even *TALK* to them.  They couldn't even get a
quote.  So, he had to sit down and total everything out to do it
themselves.  It's about $40K per mile and totals out around $3-4 million.

Once they did all this, some of the smaller telcos/ISPs actually wanted
to talk.  The cost didn't come down much, but now some of them were
willing to discuss partnership, etc.

Big telcos *STILL* didn't want to talk.

Then the next hurdle set in.  Nobody is set up to help with this at any
government level because it has been so long since the telcos actually
did *anything* useful.  Basically, he is having to custom craft all the
legal documents, frameworks, and approvals *from scratch* because
effectively nothing has been done across the entire state for 15+
years--and this is in the "progressive" northeast.

Finally, after all of this, he seems to have a public/private
partnership to handle both the physical infrastructure and running the
premises equipment.  Things are just starting to move.

NOW, magically, the big telcos are paying attention.  Suddenly they're
worried that they're going to get completely blown out of the town for
cable (very scary), internet (somewhat scary), and telephone (don't care).

Classifying these assholes as common carriers and laughing with glee as
they go bankrupt would be insufficient punishment.

If my friend is ever in town during a KPLUG meeting, I'll see if I can
get him to talk about it.  I suspect the process has been painful enough
that it might take quite a bit expensive wine to get him talking.

-a