Free Dumb Phone project update

Michael Spacefalcon msokolov at ivan.Harhan.ORG
Thu May 8 15:07:57 PDT 2014

Just as an FYI, the Free Dumb Phone project I presented last October
is still progressing.  Here is the update I posted on another mailing
list:

http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2014-May/069469.html

The demo I gave back in October was OsmocomBB making a GSM voice call
from a phone tethered to a laptop, with most of the GSM protocol stack
code running on the latter.  That approach is fun for demos and for
hacks (security research etc), but for a practically usable phone one
would need something very different: clearly one would need to have
all of the necessary software running on the phone itself.  Because
OsmocomBB does not have any realistic prospects of being able to run
on a phone without being tethered to a PC, I'm working on my own
alternative instead, called FreeCalypso.  The post linked above gives
the details of where the latter stands, how it is progressing, and the
public Hg source repositories.

VLR,
SF