What do people do to set up email for corporate clients nowadays?

David Brown davidb at davidb.org
Sun May 4 09:18:13 PDT 2014

On Fri, May 02, 2014 at 04:57:19PM -0700, Tracy Reed wrote:
>On Thu, May 01, 2014 at 04:16:17PM PDT, Andrew Lentvorski spake thusly:
>> I can run and configure an email server just fine
>> (FreeBSD/Postfix/Dovecot/IMAP has been my preferred weapon of choice for
>> a while).
>
>That is what I still recommend plus SpamAssassin for spam filtering. Works
>great and is easy to setup.

A while back, an account I use for public email was migrated from a
host that sat behind an IronPort device that does spam filtering to a
nearly identically configured host, but set up with SpamAssassin.

When behind the IronPort, I received maybe one piece of SPAM every
couple of days.  With SpamAssassin, it's at least several a day.

SpamAssassin also doesn't seem quite as "sure" about things, and there
are a few dozen each day that meet it's threshold for marking, but not
for just outright discarding.  There are enough false hits that I'm
uncomfortable not looking at these messages.  Obviously, I don't know
about the ones the IronPort discards that it shouldn't, but I've never
been made aware of one.

So, I'd recommend anyone setting up email with a reasonable number of
clients to at least look into a SPAM appliance.

David

>SpamAssasin plus either SquirrelMail or RoundCube for webmail. They aren't
>nearly as fancy as gmail but they are functional. Webmail doesn't seem to be a
>very sexy problem to solve so it doesn't get a ton of work.

Which, sadly, also seems to mean that the webmail solutions aren't
very pleasant to use.

David