What do people do to set up email for corporate clients nowadays?

Tony Su tonysu at su-networking.com
Fri May 2 10:10:15 PDT 2014

If I can modify your question a little bit..
How <should> email be setup nowadays for Business use?

1. The bits and pieces of spam filtering I've been reading about recently
suggests how difficult it is to tune anti-spam, particularly for any DIY.
Recently I read that Google is doing a substantially better job than the
competition (one reason to use Google either as the main mail provider or
as a gateway). Also, filtering can depend on the business and its common
vocabulary. When I was doing tech for my startups in Healthcare, it was
always difficult to differentiate between legitimate and illegitimate mail
based on scoring content. I always found it was more effective to simply
block the Senders (generally speaking, spam still comes from easily sources
easily identifiable over time).

2. It's been a couple years since I posted to this List about SSL Webmail
gateways, IMO it's one of the best little used apps that should be deployed
because of its many benefits.
- Users can access their mail using webmail clients, a universal tool. No
need to deal with client app issues.
- By proxying the mail, you know have a multitude of new capabilities
including logging, egress filtering (Yes! - Outbound filtering to control
leakage!), routing, more.
Of course you want to use open source, and a quick search suggests a few
choices instead of the one or two a couple years ago.
Even if someone wanted to use a dedicated email client, nowadays I would
still route mail through an outbound email gateway to filter outbound
messages.

Tony