HP 7450C scanner

Franklin Johnston fpjohnston at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 22:43:41 PST 2014

On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 6:55 PM, Rich Ernst <rernst at rernst.com> wrote:

> Don't need a DVD drive to upgrade, just let it upgrade via upgrade
> manager over the internet.

Yes, well, I've tried that before and it's usually caused problems.
However, it's been a few years, so I suppose I could give it another try.

After several hours, I can tell you that I still have a low opinion of
upgrades. The system boots up and I get the login screen, but when I log
in, I just get the background wallpaper and nothing else besides the mouse
cursor, which I can move around to my heart's content. But there's nothing
to click on, and the keyboard appears to be useless.

> I'm a pretty cheap fellow (just ask any of the other KPLUGers...  :)
> but DVD drives can be had amazingly cheap, you don't need the latest
> and greatest.

Well, in regards to that, I've been out of work for a long time, so
financial resources aren't my strong suit at the moment.

> Or, just write the ISO to s flash drive and upgrade that way.

I can try that now, I guess.

> I would suggest trying those options first (if you really need a DVD
> drive to upgrade, I'll loan you one.  IDE or SATA?
>
> So... what is the actual problem?

When I tried to use apt-get to install SANE, I got all kinds of 404 errors
trying to download files.

> What have you done/tried/researched for solution?

Looked all over for information on using scanners on Ubuntu/Linux, much of
which wasn't especially helpful (or which told me to do things that didn't
work).

I also tried downloading the backends and frontends for SANE, as well as
XSANE.

Give as detailed an accounting as possible.

Once I recover Ubuntu, I can give you the gory details, assuming the
problem persists once I get a system that works.

> Do you KNOW the scanner works?

It used to, although I'd only used it on Windows before.