DAT/VHS Video Tape Conversion Suggestions

Tony Su tonysu at su-networking.com
Sat Dec 13 17:06:55 PST 2014

 More or less agreeing with Gus,
When I looked into this about 7 yrs ago, graphic cards were only
barely adequate or practical to do this kind of stuff.
Nowadays, I'd expect <every> modern video card with several megabytes
of VRAM to be able to do things like conversion at a practical rate.

And, I agree with what Gus said about possibly using small utilities.
Although on my openSUSE Forums discussions people typically ask about
GUI apps, I feel those suggestions are more for the "sometime" video
conversions.
If you're going to do the same conversions repeatedly, I'd recommend
you take a look at the capabilities of the standard command line
utilities like mpeg. Once you set up your command and can just
re-invoke with minimal changes, it runs <very> fast.

Tony