DAT/VHS Video Tape Conversion Suggestions

Mark Schoonover mark.schoonover at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 21:28:45 PST 2014

I'm staring at a large pile of DAT video tapes, VHS/C and VHS tapes. I have
the camera that took the DAT videos and all associated cables. Still have a
good VHS deck too.

Anyway, I know there have been discussions here on MythTV so I'm hoping
someone could give me some suggestions on a video capture card. I'm using
Ubuntu Studio for the conversions I've already done and that's working very
well. Since I'm converting standard def, I don't think I need anything that
extreme. All these devices have S-video output & R/L audio.

This all got started because I've been converting mini-cassettes and
regular cassettes of family interviews and such to mp3. I have a 70s era
Sony reel-to-reel with a large box full of recordings of my grandfather and
his cronies in various jam sessions. I'm in the process of building up a
variac to slowly fire up the Sony. It's been in his home study since the
70s and hasn't been used since the mid 80s.

Don't get me started on over 40 years of 8mm video my grandmother took. Now
that'll be a project. :)

Mark Schoonover RUSA #5251
Website: http://www.ka6wke.net
Cycling: http://surlyrando.blogspot.com