Road Runner DNS Slow last 2 weeks or so

David Brown davidb at davidb.org
Wed May 22 18:16:07 PDT 2013

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 11:58:16AM -0700, Rich Ernst wrote:

>I just change my DNS NOT to use rr, and use google's free at 8.8.8.8
>and 8.8.4.4.

I just resolved a significant number of problems by undoing this.

The essence of the problem is that there seem to be a number of
services out there (notably streaming video) that, instead of using
anycast, use DNS to hand out ISP-near servers for video.

By using the google DNS, the streaming services were giving me a
server near google, but not near my service.  By switching back to the
RR DNS (just the default that DHCP gives me), my sluggish streaming
problems have now gone away.

Now I seem to be able to easily watch 1080p video from Apple's cloud,
stream Netflix, and watch YouTube videos without pausing.

So, at this point, I no longer will be recommending people to use
alternative DNS.

David