Unix and C

James E. Henderson AmOuil at cox.net
Sun May 5 08:33:16 PDT 2013

>> I'm sure some folks did operating systems in Basic, Pascal, Fortan and Cobol given how popular they are.
>>
> I'm not so sure about that. I don't think you can use just any language for an O/S.
>

> I'm no developer, but personally, I can't imagine any human being having (a) the knowledge, experience, and motivation to attempt to write an OS, and at the same time (b) the masochism and/or self-loathing to attempt to write it in BASIC.   (Yes, it would have to be compiled BASIC.)

Then there's Forth, which is by nature both an operating system
and a language. As with Lisp, anything you do in Forth is just
processing lists. Forth is an interesting language, provided you
have a machine with enough memory to crawl its twin lists. It can
go spectacularly wrong when you run out of memory.

--
James E. Henderson
Sent from my Mac Mini