Unix and C

Renzema, Todd todd.renzema at hp.com
Sat May 4 16:21:32 PDT 2013

Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 22:56:14 -0700
From: Franklin Johnston <fpjohnston at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Unix and C
To: Main Discussion List for KPLUG <kplug-list at kernel-panic.org>

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 8:22 PM, Andrew Lentvorski <bsder at allcaps.org> wrote:

-----8<-----<snip>-----

> I'm sure some folks did operating systems in Basic, Pascal, Fortan and Cobol given how popular they are.

I'm not so sure about that. I don't think you can use just any language for an O/S.

I'm no developer, but personally, I can't imagine any human being having (a) the knowledge, experience, and motivation to attempt to write an OS, and at the same time (b) the masochism and/or self-loathing to attempt to write it in BASIC.   (Yes, it would have to be compiled BASIC.)