Curiosity landing tonight.

Bob La Quey robert.laquey at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 07:01:33 PDT 2012

Great work. It took me back. I watched the celebration in the control
room in real time.

I was lucky enough to design and help build electronics in some
instruments that went to the moon. See

http://news.rice.edu/2009/07/17/the-rice-stuff-the-moon-as-our-laboratory/

David Reasoner, mentioned in the cited articel was my lab partner and
best friend thru graduate school. It was a great time to be young and
into technology and science.

I suppose it was stressful. We certainly worked hard.

John Freeman was a young assistant Professor. He says,

"The Apollo program had such incredible time pressures on it,” Freeman
said. “We were building hardware and hiring subcontractors before we
actually had the paper contracts. This was the story of NASA
throughout.”

SIDE was built by subcontractors in California and tested at Rice in a
series of vacuum chambers, ion beams and vibration tables set up in
the basement of the Space Science Building.

“That’s where we worked day and night, 24 hours a day, getting this
thing tested and calibrated and ready for flight,” Freeman said. “It
was so rough that I actually ended up in the hospital with a
near-nervous breakdown.”

LOL. Great fun!!!

BobLQ
http://www.facebook.com/TropicalBoats

PS. Tremendous rain storm here in the Philippines so I spent most of
the day surfing the net ... My favorite site
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lenny_meriel/sets/139251/with/5530179/