Apple

Irving Ruan irving at zeroresistance.net
Sat Apr 10 19:53:39 PDT 2010

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 7:48 PM, Gregory K. Ruiz-Ade <gkra at unnerving.org>wrote:

> On Apr 10, 2010, at 10:30 AM, David Brown wrote:
>
> > This seems largely like unfounded speculation.  The iPhone OS is
> > already perfectly capable of multi tasking, and does it just fine with
> > apps that are Apple blessed.
>
> You may be right.  Some interesting points made here:
>
> http://daringfireball.net/2010/04/why_apple_changed_section_331
>
> And discussed here:
>
> http://www.taoeffect.com/blog/2010/04/steve-jobs-response-on-section-3-3-1/

John Gruber always hits the nail on the head with contentious topics such as
these.

Although, I'm a bit confused by Steve's remark:

"We’ve been there before, and intermediate layers between the platform and
the developer ultimately produces sub-standard apps and hinders the progress
of the platform."
*
*
*Hey, why don't we just write everything in machine code then?*

It's funny because the de facto standard before this new 3.3.1 clause was
that most developers who wrote apps for iPhone did it with Xcode and Obj-C
because they knew that was ideal for a cocoa touch app. Apple isn't really
reinventing the wheel here - they're just pushing developers away.

Irving