Destroy hard drives
karlc at keckec.com
Fri Nov 13 23:16:34 PST 2009
Andrew Lentvorski wrote:
> Carl Lowenstein wrote:
>> I think you are ignoring the practical problem caused by the 13 orders
>> of magnitude difference between the size of the bit on the platter and
>> the external size of the drive. It's a lot greater than the ratio
>> between a penny and the national debt.
> Not to mention the separation between the magnet and the platter. The
> field is likely falling off as the distance squared, and a write head is
> *really* close to the surface of the drive.
One could run the current through the platter itself. You'd have to
remove the drive cover, which as I remember was not within the scope of
the original question. If the magnetic field from the current didn't
erase it, heating it above the curie temperature with sufficient current
I would think a car battery or two with some hefty jumper cables should
do the trick.
Another possibility is induction heating. Some stoves use this method to
heat the pan without a separate heating element. Putting the drive
platter on one of those might do the job as well.
More information about the KPLUG-List