M$ Music Transfer Protocol in Linux (Amarok)

Lan Barnes lan at falleagle.net
Sat Mar 28 10:55:25 PDT 2009

On Sat, March 28, 2009 10:28 am, Lan Barnes wrote:
> I'm feeling frustrated. I can't get my iRiver Clix 2 to be recognized by
> Amarok.
> Here are the versions I've been working with.
> CentOS 5.1
> Amarok 1.4.10
> Various tars and rpms all for .el5.
> Here are the links that have been guiding my efforts:
> http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Media_Device:MTP
> http://www.adebenham.com/mtpfs/
> http://libmtp.sourceforge.net/
> http://www.misticriver.net/forums/iriver-clix-series-flash-player/50579-using-irivier-clix-linux-56k-warning.html
> [lbarnes at clinton Desktop]$ got mtp
> libmtp-
> But when I try following all the instructions, especially in the last
> link, Amarok won't list MTP as a protocol option. And I can't seem to find
> or complie anything to test the libmtp on Linux.
> As a get-something-to-work test, I'm adding Media Player 11 to my XP
> laptop and I'll put the Clix on it. But if any of you could give
> suggestions, I'd be grateful.
> BTW, the instructions on misticriver.net don't correspond perfectly with
> my version of Amarok ... but I'm able to find all the listed config
> screens. They just don't list what I need.

I've been thinking about my own question:

The presence of libmtp doesn't mean it will necessarily be invoked:

1. Amarok may need to be compiled of configured to be aware of it. I
downloaded the 1.4.10 src and ran configure. The resulting Makefile didn't
have an apparent switch for that. Bummer.

2. The docs say that the amarok user needs r/w to the USB ports. I'm not
sure how one does this when the device is MTP rather than something more
conventional like /dev/sdb.

Still open for input :-)

Lan Barnes

SCM Analyst              Linux Guy
Tcl/Tk Enthusiast        Biodiesel Brewer