[kooler] unions (Was: Does there exist good free web hosting for commercial use?)

Mike Marion mmarion at miguelito.org
Fri Jul 15 13:50:12 PDT 2005

Quoting Andrew Lentvorski <bsder at allcaps.org>:

> Then this is not the particular one I am thinking about.  I was thinking
> of one that occurred at the same time as IBM had one.  The incentive
> offered was so good it wiped out about 60%+ of the engineers and
> technicians in the Burlington, VT site.  AT&T had similar numbers lost
> at the same time.

Heh.. nope.. that's definitely not this one.  Or at least, the incentives were
far different out here.   NOONE was happy with the early retirement they
offered.. which was really a "if you're lucky and qualify for it, take the
early retirement... if you don't, you'll be laid-off anyway."

I remember that first year, as my father (and many others) struck out on their
own.  Man, were my parents worried for a long time there, until the business
really got going.  The funny thing is, AT&T basically destroyed one of it's
own markets, because many of their customers stayed with the people they
trusted (who now all worked for themselves).  All of the guys help each other
out too.. anytime one of them has a larger job, they'll call on others to help
out, so they all make out.  They all seem to have their own main clients, then
help out each other when needed.

Oh, and of course, they're all making far more money on their own then they
did working for AT&T, even though they're doing the same exact work.  Plus
they have far more free time... my father golfs at least 2x a week now... the
bum. :)

--
Mike Marion-Unix SysAdmin/Staff Engineer-http://www.miguelito.org
Marge: "Homer, sitting that close to the TV can't be good for you."