[kooler] unions (Was: Does there exist good free web hosting for commercial use?)

Stewart Stremler bofh at stremler.net
Tue Jul 12 15:28:01 PDT 2005

begin  quoting Chris Mauricio as of Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 11:17:22AM -0700:
[snip]
> I said support for unions using dues in a political context ( ads,
> contributiuons etc ) was low. The proposed bill would allow for those union
> members who *disagree* with the use of dues for a particular political
> statement or direction to request a refund or refuse to contribute: case in

Once unions do their job and becomes sources of political power in and
of themselves, is it _possible_ to prevent 'em from being co-opted by
the politically-minded for their (the politically-minded) own ends?

> point- the teachers union just 'assessed'  additional dues of  $780 / per
> year (I may be off on the figure )  for political positioning ( my words )
> mostly attaking Arnolds stance on tenure, merit pay etc.  Under current law,
> all union members pay, regardless of their feelings about the stance of the
> union.

Last I heard, non-union members paid dues to the union for the ability
to NOT be a member.

>        Under the proposed bill they could request a refund. In states with
> similar laws, the participation in these contributions have fallen from a
> mandatory 100% participation to a voluntary 7% participation. The message is
> clear at least in the area of political arean regarding unions.

People are cheap?

Yah, that's a message I can agree with.

-Stewart "Something for nothing. And right now, dammit!" Stremler