"Death of a firewall" and Xen

Andrew Lentvorski bsder at allcaps.org
Sat Jul 9 16:40:44 PDT 2005

Tracy R Reed wrote:
> The Xen I am talking about is open source software by some guys at a
> university. It supports AMD and Intel equally as far as I can see.

SWSoft investment by Intel Capital (put code into Xen)
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050620/221/fljne.html

Talking about the XenSource company:
http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/techbeat/archives/2005/06/the_way_of_xen.html

Xen co-developed by Cambridge and Intel Research:
http://www.intel.com/research/events/intel_day/intel_day.htm

This thing is *far* from being "just a cool open-source project".

This has Intel's hand all over it.  In addition, it touches hardware.
Intel can defend their turf with both hardware *and* software patents.

Way too much money is floating around this to not at least be a little
suspicious.

It's a cool idea, but I wouldn't abandon the pure open-source efforts
either.

-a