Subversion vs Clearcase

Michael O'Keefe mokeefe at qualcomm.com
Tue Jul 5 11:49:14 PDT 2005

>> And I *REALLY* loved the time it cut down on building large systems
>> becoz of it's DO subsystem. Now that I'm using PerForce (a
>> copy-to-local CRM), if someone changes a major header, EVERYBODY has
>> to rebuild :(
>
> Could you explain this in more detail?

CC keeps track of what it took to build a .o (and subsequent .so/.a's)
This includes header and source files (and their respective revisions,
if under CC) as well as compiler flags.

If someone has already built the .o that you need to build, clearmake
would simply give you the derived-object (DO) instead of rebuilding it
yourself.

Once someone has built the system with the recently touched code,
everyone else got the DO's, and build time was GREATLY reduced for
almost everyone (the first sucker had to spend the most time, of course :)

--
Michael O'Keefe                      |          mokeefe at qualcomm.com_
Live on and Ride a 03 BMW F650GSDakar|          roxus at cox.net      / |