https & ssh the only wifi security necessary?

Gregory K. Ruiz-Ade gkade at unnerving.org
Sun Jul 3 10:11:27 PDT 2005

On Jul 2, 2005, at 11:18 PM, Michael J McCafferty wrote:

> ...and imaps or pop3s

Don't forget SMTP/TLS, unless you want your mail sending to be
sniffed, too.

> At 10:13 PM 7/2/2005 -0700, you wrote:
>
>> I don't know if I should bother messing with wifi security, IPSEC
>> and other such mind numbing silliness when ssh and https provide
>> security whenever passwords are concerned.
>>
>> Does everyone do the wifi security thing or just rely on
>> ssh and https to carry the day?

Personally, at home, I have 128-bit WEP enabled.  Sure, it's
breakable.  Sure, it's a hassle to set up on each machine.  On the
other hand, I bought most of my equipment before WPA was available,
and don't feel like upgrading/replacing it.

Gregory

--
Gregory K. Ruiz-Ade <gkade at unnerving.org>
OpenPGP Key ID: EAF4844B  keyserver: pgpkeys.mit.edu