Another vi question

Andrew Lentvorski bsder at allcaps.org
Sat Jul 2 19:24:23 PDT 2005

David M. Cook wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 11:12:17AM -0700, Stewart Stremler wrote:
>

>>Shame? There's no shame in resisting the anti-UNIX attitude of emacs. :)
>

> Why do you think that?  Emacs plays very well with unix.

Even as an emacs user, I have to agree with Stuart on this one.

Emacs was forged in a time of incompatibility.  DEC, IBM, Apollo, Sun,
Data General, etc.  Every OS had its own way of doing basic things.
Emacs eventually evolved into an oasis on each system that worked
exactly the same as any other system (mostly).  Thus, it needed the
ability to do things like handle directories, read news, read mail, etc.

Both the emacs philosophy (everything is inside the editor) and the
mechanisms (everything works the *emacs* way in spite of the underlying
OS) are at odds with the Unix way (simple discrete tools and no imposed
mechanism).

-a