Contrarian POV on apt-get

Tracy R Reed treed at copilotconsulting.com
Fri Jun 4 23:45:32 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 09:22:57AM -0700, John H. Robinson, IV spake thusly:
> Debian has never supported downgrades. In reality, it would be near
> impossible to. It would require knowing, IN ADVANCE, any future changes
> to any config file or format file to be able to handle the downgrade.

Only way to really do downgrades I think is to use something like LVM to
regress the state of your whole system. Point grub to your snapshot and
reboot making the snapshot the live filesystem then delete the aborted
upgrade. This is similar to but much faster than restoring from backup.

I have a feeling that real package management is going to be an
intractable problem. Computers are not getting simpler as time goes on.
They are getting more complex. They may occasionally seem to get easier to
use but what goes on behind the scenes and can possibly break continues to
get more intricate as we add layers.

--
Tracy Reed                     The attachment is a digital signature.
http://copilotconsulting.com   More info: http://copilotconsulting.com/sig