Contrarian POV on apt-get

Stewart Stremler bofh at stremler.net
Fri Jun 4 15:37:39 PDT 2004

begin  quoting John H. Robinson, IV as of Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 02:52:31PM -0700:
> Dario Alcocer wrote:
> > Stewart Stremler wrote:
> >
> > >The problem with that is that instead of trying to fix a broken system
> > >(very complicated relationships between packages) by simplifying 'em,
> > >you're just hiding the complexity and encouraging it to grow.
> > >

> > Precisely, I think that's a fair criticism (read: not a troll.)
>
> are all things simple?

The point wasn't that things _had_ to be simple, but that simplicity
should be encouraged.

On other words, avoid needless complexity.

That is, KISS.

> actually, few things are simple. please explain a flower :)

First, demonstrate to me that you fully comprehend a flower, and can
fix what typically goes wrong with your flower.  Most people don't
even try -- flowers are disposable.

Personally, I find 'em difficult to create, hard to maintain, and they
always fall over and die before I'm ready for 'em to.  Plus some varieties
leak and/or attract bugs.  Often, once you've succeeded in keeping 'em
going for a long time, you can't get *rid* of them when you want to.

-Stewart "Tell me again how needless complexity is desirable, please." Stremler