Contrarian POV on apt-get

Dario Alcocer alcocer at helixdigital.com
Wed Jun 2 23:55:45 PDT 2004

I came across the following while trying to bone up on apt-get:

    http://www.miketaylor.org.uk/tech/wxinmfpl/debian.html

I personally think apt-get is very useful, but I found some of the
criticism (especially items 1.9-1.14) particularly thought provoking.
While I consider jhriv's explanation of apt pinning required reading, I
find the Debian APT HOWTO too unfocused and sparse, especially since the
common usage cases aren't covered from a newbie's point of view.

I find the lack of rollback support in APT intriguing, especially since
RPM already supports it:

Does anyone have any suggestions on what additional tutorial material
one should read after reading jhriv's excellent apt pinning intro?  I
guess the manual page is OK as a reference, but it would be nice to read
something that covered all the common pitfalls and how to avoid them.

-- D.