M$ Works conversion to Linux

Cory Petkovsek cory at adaptableit.com
Wed Jun 2 20:27:15 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 08:08:56PM -0700, Lan Barnes wrote:
> I have a friend who is interested in converting his (very) small
> business from M$ Works to Linux. I haven't seen his system yet, but
> suspect he's using the card file thingie to manage his orders, and not
> much else.

MS Works is a word proccessing application.  Do you perhaps mean MS Access
which would make the rest of your email make sense?

> Is there an equivalent that (be still my heart) could be used for a
> direct conversion? Or is there a Wine solution that is worth pursuing?
> Or is it time for a rewrite in a Linux SQL with a scripted front end?

Most likely he needs to choose an application with a sql back end, then have
the data migrated to the application specific schema.  Direct conversion?
Probably not.

Cory

--
Cory Petkovsek                                       Adapting Information
Adaptable IT Consulting                                Technology to Your