Certificates for SSL and stuff

Andrew P. Lentvorski, Jr. bsder at mail.allcaps.org
Wed Jun 2 16:30:36 PDT 2004

On Jun 2, 2004, at 1:49 PM, Stewart Stremler wrote:

>> The main question is: Do we delegate one level of trust?
>> Second question: From a technical perspective, is delegation possible?
>
> Given the correct constraints, I think we can.

Let me rephrase the second question.  Can Mozilla/Firefox/Konquerer, et
al.
*as they currently exist* deal with the idea of a trust chain rather
than direct
signing by a certificate which is installed.

Certification delegation is certainly theoretically possible.  However,
if the
main open-source web browsers can't deal with it by default, then the
option
of delegation becomes far less palatable.

-a