Qmail Relaying and startup script

Amit Chakradeo amit-kplug at amc.homeip.net
Mon Aug 27 15:01:49 PDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 11:17:20AM -0400, Subba Rao wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Over the weekend, I have upgraded my HW and did a clean install of Linux.
> Before upgrading I did save most of the configuration files with the exception
> of Qmail...:-(
>
> I am trying to get this running to the way it was. Qmail is compiled and
> running fine. I can send email from the local host only. When I telnet to
> port 25 on any interface, I get connection "Connection refused". By default
> relaying is turned off. So, I have created /etc/tcprules.smtp and the CDB file.
> All the local nets are in that DB. Now, I NOT running Qmail via tcpserver.
> I would like to run it via svscan/supervise services (/var/qmail/rc = run).
> Is there anyway to control relay when Qmail is not run by tcpserver? What
> files should I configure to allow my other machines to relay mail through
> this server?

You could authenticate the users (POP/IMAP) before allowing relaying.

Here are the qmail patches:
http://untroubled.org/relay-ctrl/

(I don't know though if it suits your situation, the requirements mentioned are:
- You must be using qmail-popup/qmail-pop3d with either tcpserver or
  tcp-env to serve POP3 OR
- You must be using Courier IMAP to serve IMAP.
- You must be using tcpserver with qmail-smtpd to serve SMTP.

)

HTH
AMit